This month we spoke to Kenyan blogger, Shiko Nguru from the blog The Green Calabash about her awesome blog, family and she shared some great parenting tips with us.
Tell us about yourself?
My name is Shiko and I’m the proud mum to a 6 year old daughter with baby #2 expected this December. I love to laugh, drink wine and spend time with my family…preferably all at the same time!
Tell us about your blog?
The Green Calabash is a parenting and lifestyle blog that offers an honest and humorous take on motherhood, womanhood and everything in between. I started the blog 6 years ago as a way to document my pregnancy journey with my first born, Ella. The name Green Calabash was born out of an overwhelming feeling of being unprepared and naïve about motherhood (Green), but still feeling like I had a lot of potential to be of great value to other confused moms out there who were hungry for someone they could relate to (Calabash). Over the past 6 years the blog has continued to be a space for light hearted and candid sharing on parenting and lifestyle topics here in Kenya.
How do you feel about using technology as part of learning?
Technology is growing more and more to be integral when it comes to learning. Our kids are growing up in a very different world than we did. Everything is digital! I didn’t own my first tab until I was in my twenties while my daughter got her first tab when she was only 5 years old! I think we’ve entered an age where technology and learning go hand in hand. You can’t have one without the other.
What are your kids favourite apps?
YouTube, hands down! My daughter spends 90% of her screen time on YouTube and the rest of the 10% playing a variety of different games on her tab.
What do you love about Kenya and raising your children there?
What I love the most about Kenya is the people – Kenyans are some of the most friendly, interesting, fun and ambitious people you’ll ever meet. After spending 10 years living in the United States, I realized more than ever that my soul is most alive in Kenya. The decision to move back to Kenya was a no-brainer for me. I knew that I not only wanted to raise my daughter surrounded by family, but I also wanted to raise her in a country full of life, warmth and exciting potential.
TV “Yes” or “No”?
Yes…in moderation! I limit my daughter’s screen time (for TV and her Tab) so that she also spends time doing other activities like playing outdoors, reading books, doing art projects and practicing guitar.
What is in the lunchbox?
Healthy, homemade snacks hopefully! I’m really trying to cut down on sugar and processed food so we’ve been doing a lot of fruit, yoghurt and homemade snacks like granola bars and oatmeal banana muffins.
How do you balance it all – in one sentence?
I don’t put pressure on myself to be the perfect mom.
Do you children do chores at home, if so what and how do you manage it?
I try and give Ella a couple of age appropriate chores during the school holidays. This could be anything from tidying up the living room every morning to watering our plants. She’s still at that cute age where chores are fun for her, so it’s pretty easy to manage at this point!
What is your favourite holiday plans/ activities with kids?
We are a family that loves to travel! We usually take a trip to the Kenyan coast during the school holidays and spend most of our time on the beach. Other than that, during the holidays I usually enroll Ella in art and guitar classes – it’s a great way to keep her occupied and creative during the break.